Dry eye syndrome is a common eye condition that affects many Coloradoans. The underlying cause of dry eye syndrome is inflammation on the ocular surface.
- There are two main forms of dry eye; aqueous deficient and evaporative.
- Dry eye can be caused by a number of systemic medications including anti-histamines, anti-depressants, birth control
- Symptoms of dry eye include foreign body sensation, redness towards the end of the day, blurred vision and strain towards the end of the day, tired eyes, fluctuating vision.
Mile High Eye Institute are committed to providing our patients with the best and most up to date treatment options for all eye conditions.
- Oasis artificial tears – recommended preservative free artificial tears that can purchased through our office.
- Autologous serum tears – Artificial tears that are made from your own blood. Your blood contains many natural anti-inflammatory properties and growth factors that we can place directly upon the eye to quell inflammation caused by dry eye.
- Punctal plugs – Increases the contact time of tears on the front surface of the eye.
- Restasis – A prescription eye drop that decreases inflammation and increases tear production. Can take up to 3 months to provide long-lasting relief.
- Amniotic membrane contact lens – In cases of severe dry eye that has caused damage to the cornea. This natural contact lens has healing capabilities to restore the cornea to an undamaged state.
- Scleral contact lens – In severe cases of dry eye a scleral contact lens can provide relief by bathing the eye in non-preserved saline while also giving the patient great vision.